On January 10, 2016, the world lost the iconic music legend David Bowie to his 18-month-long battle with cancer.
But despite his death, Bowie is forever immortalized with the legacy of his contribution to music; countless celebrities who have been influenced by his work and magnetic personality have taken to the Internet to pay tribute to their lost friend.
Below are 15 tributes from celebrities, from the world of music and beyond, remembering David Bowie.
- Jimmy Fallon remembers a fellow funny-man
— Fallon Tonight (@FallonTonight) January 12, 2016
2. R.E.M.’s Michael Stipe, remembers a fellow creative genius
DAVID BOWIERight now, it feels as if the solar system is off it’s axis, as if one of our main planetary anchors has…
3. Madonna dedicates her social media to her beloved friend and the first concert she ever saw.
— Madonna (@Madonna) January 11, 2016
4. Kanye West reveals Bowie as a crucial inspiration for his success
David Bowie was one of my most important inspirations, so fearless, so creative, he gave us magic for a lifetime. — KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) January 11, 2016
5. Guillermo del Toro describes how Bowie taught him “an oddity was a precious thing.”
Bowie existed so all of us misfits learned that an oddity was a precious thing. he changed the world forever.
— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) January 11, 2016
6.Paul McCartney remembers a fellow Brit who changed music:
“Very sad news to wake up to on this raining morning. David was a great star and I treasure the moments we had together. His music played a very strong part in British musical history and I’m proud to think of the huge influence he has had on people all around the world.”- On his blog.
7. Elton John expresses his shock
I am still in shock. Never saw it coming. My deepest condolences to Iman and the family. An amazing life. An amazing career. A photo posted by Elton John (@eltonjohn) on
8. One of today’s most influential artists, Macklemore, admires his hero.
10. Howard Stern shares history, admires Bowie’s consistent relevancy
“Tomorrow’s my birthday and I bring it up because one of the greatest birthday shows ever was the year that David Bowie showed up…He was so relevant … I just loved that Bowie was more relevant than ever”- on his morning show.
11. Yoko Ono speaks on the friendship she and John Lennon had with Bowie
As John and I had very few friends we felt David was as close as family.
12. Molly Ringwald, a pivotal part of our childhood as well, remembers an important part of hers.
13. Master of comedy Judd Apatow remembers Bowie’s sense of humor
David Bowie on Extras was as good as comedy gets. @rickygervais
— Judd Apatow (@JuddApatow) January 11, 2016
14. Anderson Cooper remembers an incredible life.
Find it hard to believe David Bowie has died. What an incredible life — Anderson Cooper (@andersoncooper) January 11, 2016
15. The Foo Fighters share this amazing photo
Rest in peace, David. pic.twitter.com/9Kv9yM9igh
— Foo Fighters (@foofighters) January 11, 2016